#chronomaster #iamspecialized @Specialized_UK @LLBikes @OTESportsGB @VO2sportswear
A day out in Yorkshire
By Si Deplitch.
4 Team riders (Kris, Karl, Billy and I) attended the Out Of The Saddle Sprint Road Race in Braithwell, SW of Doncaster. We’re having to do further afield this year in search of points, since the demise of CDNW.
Conditions were excellent, cool and sunny with a 10 mph South Easterly wind, this made for a very fast race, average of over 25 mph for 47 miles.
The course was 8 laps of a mainly flat loop with a punchy rise up Raw Lane in the village of Stainton and a few ‘false flats’.
After the neutralised zone the race kicked off at high pace and followed a pattern of breakaway and chase-down, time after time. Karl and Kris got involved in a couple of breaks with Kris and I trying to block on one occasion. By the 1st prime half way into the race we had all come back together. Further breaks and chases occurred with one rider Danny Lowthorpe staying away, from part way around the final lap, to take victory by several seconds. The rest finished in a mass gallop spread across both lanes of the flat and straight village entrance road, bunching and bumping over the line – fortunately we all survived unscathed (unlike some fallers in Race 2 which followed a few minutes behind).
I tried my best to find space for a full sprint but like salmon swimming upstream, sometimes you fail – coming just ahead of the rest of the team, keeping out of trouble within the bunch.
It was good to see Billy back racing after his op and special mention goes to Karl, who rode 50 miles to the race, finished in the bunch, and still wasn’t ‘rinsed’ afterwards.
A nice day out in Yorkshire, I for one will be back.
Final results from each race are below:
- Danny Lowthorpe Langsett Cycles RT
- Stephen Gibson Peak Road Club
- James Jobber Langsett Cycles RT
- Jason Kierman St Ives CC
- Ashley Brown Polypipe Cycling Team
- Joseph Elwood Langsett Cycles RT
- Christopher Hoole Albarosa Cycling
- Patrick Clark Tyneside Vagabonds CC
- Michael Harris HD Revolutions (HDR)
- James Allen Langsett Cycles RT
- Gareth Clarke University Of Manchester CC
- Antony Richardson Royal Air Force CC
- James Buckley Sorby Hinds CC
- Steven Guymer Rapha Cycling Club
- Mathew Lythgoe The Nab Racing
- Joseph Clark Team Envelopemaster/Bikeboxalan
- Giles Pidcock Chevin Cycles.com Trek
- Steven Fidler Dave Hinde Racing Team
- Julian Gromett Squadra RT
- Jacob Trotter Team Envelopemaster/Bikeboxalan
- David Bolland Clay Cross Road Team
- Ricky Feather Feather Cycles Racing
- Thomas Andrews Albarosa Cycling Club
- Nicholas Jepson Beeston RC
- Philip Gray Kuota – Spinergy – GSG
- Daniel Fox Airedale Chemical RT
- Ben Palmer Dave Hinde Racing Team
- James Harris Featherstone RC
- Robert Bridges Manchester Triathlon Club
- Calum Lawson Andy Moore Autocentres Racing
Many thanks the OOTS for putting on a well organised and marshalled race. Also many thanks to Jane Figgins for photos.
To see the full album from Jane Figgins, click here.