Here at Team Chronomaster we love cycling, obvioulsy! So when it comes to July and the real monument of cycling, the one everyone looks forward to, the Tour De France is on we all follow it with great interest.
This year Dimension Data, who sponsors MTN Qhubeka, have teamed up with ASO to provide real time data of the riders in the Tour De France and each evening they publish a summary for the day. So natrually we got ourselves some of the data to read and share with our fellow cyclists.
So what happened today on Stage 3 of the tour?
- Live speed data was broadcast for the first time today in cycling history during the last climb of the stage.
- Today’s stage saw a massive crash that resulted in the race being stopped and neutralized for a number of kilometers.
The crash in data from within @DimensionData truck clocked the average speed during fall was 42.03 km/h!
- One of the race favorites, Rodriguez (KAT) attacked on the last climb, Mur de Huy, to beat Froome (SKY) in the last kilometer.
- Cancellara (TFR) lost the yellow jersey struggling to get back into the race after the crash that caused some riders to retire including yesterday’s white jersey winner Dumoulin (TGA).
Day in data
- We’re off to Belgium, today the Tour visited Anvers (3rd time stage town) and Huy (4th time stage town) home to the famous Mur de Huy climb.
- 1982 – the first year Mur de Huy was included in the Flèche Wallonne route; since 1984 the race finish has been located at the top of this magnificent hill.
- 3 164 km – the distance from the start of today’s stage in Antwerp to the final stage in Paris (today’s stage distance: 159.5 km).
- 3 – the number of category 4 climbs Rodriguez (KAT) had to conquer to win the polka dot jersey today.
- 19% – the steepest gradient on the famous Mur de Huy climb.
- 42.03 km/h – the average speed of riders before today’s massive crash.
- 69.44 km/h – Greipel’s (LTS) speed as he crossed the line to win the intermediate sprint at the 31.5 km mark.
- 32.26 km/h – Schär’s (BMC) speed as he crested the climb at Côte d’Ereffe.
- 66.49 km/h – Contador’s (TCS) recorded speed as he descended Côte d’Ereffe.
- 21.6 km/h – the speed of today’s stage winner at the top of the final climb, and finish line at Mur de Huy.
- 21.75 km/h – average speed of Rodriguez (KAT) up Mur de Huy.
- 109.08 km/h – top speed recorded on today’s stage by Lars Boom (AST) at the 144 km mark.
- 44.96 km/h – the average speed on the stage.
- 19.08 km/h – the average speed on the last kilometer.
- 21’38” – the time gap between the first and last rider.
- Joaquim Rodríguez | KAT
- Stage time: 03h 26′ 54”
- Average speed: 46.25 km/h
- Speed across finish line: 21.6 km/h
Overall Jersey Leaders
- GBR | Christopher Froome – SKY | 07h 11′ 37”
- GER | André Greipel – LTS | 75 points
- SVK | Peter Sagan – TCS | 07h 12′ 08″
- ESP | Joaquim Rodríguez – KAT | 2 points
And that is today’s stage in numbers. Join us again tomorrow for more!