Name – Kris Zentek (AKA “Chopper”)
Weight – 74 KG
Riding style – Smashing it in a break, or sulking at the back of the bunch
What’s your story? Why did you get into cycling?
Back in 2008 I weighed a good deal more than I do now. Over a 2 year period I basically halved my body weight, and turned to cycling when my knees gave up from all of the running. After joining Weaver Valley, I soon caught the bug and pushed to be faster and stronger. My first BC race was the Weaver Valley Autumn Road Race, which I won without knowing it (I thought I was sprinting for 4th). From there, I was hooked…
- What was your first bike?
- First proper road bike was a Cannondale Six13. First ever bike was a Raleigh Striker. But my favourite bike of all time has to be the white Mag Burner (with oval chrome tubing!) I got for my 12th birthday.
- What are your trademark traits that people know you by?
- Obsessively clean and tidy. Stressing over being late for anything.
- Who is your cycling hero, past / present?
- Past – Jens Voigt (too soon?)
- Present – Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas
- Apart from cycling, any other passion or addiction that would be impossible to give up?
- My xBox
- What do you avoid like the plague?
- What’s your party piece?
- Drinking 3 pints then falling sleep somewhere.
- What’s your power track?
- Foo Fighters – White Limo
- What about your karaoke track?
- Green Day – Longview
- What’s your pre-race habit?
- Arriving 3 hours before the door open, then rearranging all my stuff a few times.
- Best ever achievement on the bike?
- Winning my first ever BC road race.
- Going from 4th to 2nd cat in my first proper season.
- Top 10’s in my first two national races.
- Favourite bike race?
- Tour of Flanders
- Perfect three course meal?
- Chilli Nachos, Prawn & Chorizo Paella, sticky toffee pudding.
- Favourite Film?
- The Breakfast Club
- If you could do just one more ride, what or where would it be?
- The Sella Ronda, Italy.
- Best decision ever made?
- Deciding to lose weight.
- What one piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking about bike racing?
- Anything is possible, if you are willing to work for it.
Twitter – @kriszentek
Instagram – @