Name – Neil Wood (AKA “Woody”)
Weight – 72 KG
Riding style – Always trying hard
What’s your story? Why did you get into cycling?
Coming from a background in mountain biking, I moved into road cycling in 2008. I joined a club and started winter training with some local cyclists who were regular racers throughout the season. As I improved I started time trial races and then moved on to road and criterium races. I still compete time trials but but find the road and criterium races more exhilarating to compete in. This is especially true for the criteriums. They are usually hour long races on a closed circuit which are fast paced, intensive with constant attacks, counter attacks and crazy bunch sprinting, all meaning they are a lot of fun to race in.
- What was your first bike?
- 1978 Peugeot PY10. Ten speed Simplex gears and Mafac centre pull brakes. The bike was an adult frame size and I was about 1 foot too short for it.
- What are your trademark traits that people know you by?
- Who is your cycling hero, past / present?
- Hard to say as there are a number, Fausto Coppi, and Bradley Wiggins to name a few.
- Apart from cycling, any other passion or addiction that would be impossible to give up?
- Antique clock restoration
- What do you avoid like the plague?
- The plague
- What’s your party piece?
- Cossack Dancing. Well I used to be able to do it when my legs were more flexible
- What’s your power track?
- Led Zeppelin, Whole Lotta Love
- What about your karaoke track?
- Hmm….Hotel California by the Eagles. Sure way to kill a song and empty a crowded bar at the same time.
- What’s your pre-race habit?
- Repeating words over and over again in my head that become my mantra, such as the time I want to achieve in a time trial, visualising the hard parts of the course and the finish line sprint
- Best ever achievement on the bike?
- Learning how to ride one
- Favourite bike race?
- Paris Roubaix
- Perfect three course meal?
- Mozambique Tiger Prawn salad, Vienna Schnitzel and chips, Mississippi Mud Pie ice cream.
- Favourite Film?
- 2001 – A Space Odyssey.
- If you could do just one more ride, what or where would it be?
- Mont Ventoux.
- Best decision ever made?
- Going on my own.
- What one piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking about bike racing?
- Stay fit, stay out of trouble and have some fun
Twitter – @Chronomaster_
Instagram – @Chronomaster_