Name – Nick Pilling
Height – 6′ 4″
Weight – 82 KG
Riding style – Probably riding a bit too hard
What’s your story? Why did you get into cycling?
I dabbled with some mountain biking as a teenager but always played football and golf growing up. 2 years of rowing training while at University introduced me to road cycling as cross-training. I have been doing long-course triathlon for the past few years but have taken the plunge to drop the swimming and running in favour of some road racing.
- What was your first bike?
- The classic route into road cycling – Specialized Allez. Before that I had a Trek 4100 mountain bike that served me well for almost 10 years.
- What are your trademark traits that people know you by?
- Laid-back but very competitive.
- Who is your cycling hero, past / present?
- Past – Merckx
- Present – Wiggins
- Apart from cycling, any other passion or addiction that would be impossible to give up?
- Cookies! In particular buying a bag of cookies and devouring the contents before leaving the shop.
- What do you avoid like the plague?
- Unnecessary faff
- What’s your party piece?
- The volume of pizza I can consume
- What’s your power track?
- Linkin’ Park – Numb/Encore
- What about your karaoke track?
- If I am ever caught near a karaoke machine then please remove me.
- What’s your pre-race habit?
- Haven’t got one yet but will probably involve being on the minutes.
- Best ever achievement on the bike?
- Cycling from Bolton to London through the Peak District – 400km
- Favourite bike race?
- Le Tour
- Perfect three course meal?
- Carbs, carbs, carbs
- Favourite Film?
- If you could do just one more ride, what or where would it be?
- Anywhere with smooth roads, great scenery and big hills
- Best decision ever made?
- Stopping playing football.
- What one piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking about bike racing?
- I’ll let you know at the end of the season…