Name – Simon Deplitch (AKA “Si, Pug”)
Height – 177.3 cm
Weight – 70 KG
Riding style – Puncheur
What’s your story? Why did you get into cycling?
I used cycles for transport when I was a kid, but ended up competing in Athletics as a youth. I took up mountain biking from its beginning on the UK, in the early 80’s. As my kids reached their teenage years I found more free time to diversify into Road cycling and I caught the bug.
- What was your first bike?
- Raleigh Chipper (like a mini-Chopper)
- What are your trademark traits that people know you by?
- Matching kit.
- Who is your cycling hero, past / present?
- Past – Marco Pantani
- Present – Peter Sagan
- Apart from cycling, any other passion or addiction that would be impossible to give up?
- Coffee & Dark Chocolate
- What do you avoid like the plague?
- Non-matching kit
- What’s your party piece?
- 1 armed pull-up
- What’s your power track?
- The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony
- What about your karaoke track?
- Talking Heads – Road to nowhere
- What’s your pre-race habit?
- Eat lots.
- Best ever achievement on the bike?
- Newbie to Cat 2 in 1st season and leading the North West Crit series.
- Favourite bike race?
- Giro d’Italia
- Perfect three course meal?
- Scallops & Chorizo / Steak / Dark Chocolate – anything
- Favourite Film?
- Life of Brian
- If you could do just one more ride, what or where would it be?
- Cinque Terre, Italy.
- Best decision ever made?
- Buying a road bike.
- What one piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking about bike racing?
- Don’t get dropped.
Twitter – @SDeplitch
Instagram – @sdeplitch