Name – Stephen Feeney (AKA “Ste, Feet of Flames, The Fonz”)
Weight – 63 KG
Riding style – CTC
What’s your story? Why did you get into cycling?
I was always quite sporty and ran and played football at quite a decent level when I was young. However, as I got to around 13/14 I got interested in cycling (thanks to my older brother) and soon got into riding about with my brothers and friends. We’d ride out to Pickmere Lake and hire a boat then ride home afterwards. We’d also visit distant friends and relations (well we thought they were distant at the time but they were only 30-40 miles away!) and would have to get a lift home due to it being so late and us being so knackered!
I soon joined the Leigh Premier Road Club, where there were quite a few of us young ‘uns statring out, and the day trips gradually got more serious and lead to touring and racing.
- What was your first bike?
- Raleigh Tomahawk (mini chopper)
- What are your trademark traits that people know you by?
- I have a poor reputation for bicycle maintenance (particularly on my winter training steed) and it is not uncommon for me to return from trips away with my bike held together by toe straps and cable ties whilst creaking along! My navigational skills also leave something to be desired and a 4-5 hour ride led by me will usually turn into 5-6 hour ride!
- Who is your cycling hero, past / present?
- Past – Stephen Roche & Robert Miller.
- Present – Ian Stannard and Geraint Thomas
- Apart from cycling, any other passion or addiction that would be impossible to give up?
- I love cars and if I wasn’t into cycling (and didn’t have a company car) I’d probably indulge myself further in that respect.
- What do you avoid like the plague?
- I try and avoid walking anywhere but sometimes it’s just unavoidable!!
- What’s your party piece?
- I am known for my exuberant dancing style and my signature dance move ‘the running man’ which generally makes an annual appearance at the work Christmas party!
- What’s your power track?
- There are many but ‘Here Comes The Rain’ by the Cult always hits the spot
- What about your karaoke track?
- Billy Idol – White wedding
- What’s your pre-race habit?
- A sneaky tin of red bull when nobody is looking!!
- Best ever achievement on the bike?
- On the road – Sprinting past Charly Wegulius for my first road race win. Winning an elite road race at Ulverston, coming 2nd overall in the Tour of the Borders, 5th Overall in the Bikeline/Mersey 2 day and being an elite category rider for 3 seasons.
- In time trialling – being the WCTTCA 10 & 25 mile champion and placing in the top ten in the national hill climb championship 4 times.
- Favourite bike race?
- Hard to say…I always liked the Tour of Snowdonia!
- Perfect three course meal?
- I am a big fan of food and this is a difficult one to narrow down but it would probably be an spicy, Italian dish!
- Favourite Film?
- American Flyers, of course! Best film ever!
- If you could do just one more ride, what or where would it be?
- Angliru, Northern Spain, on a compact chainset this time!!
- Best decision ever made?
- I can think of more ‘worst’ decisions to be honest!!
- What one piece of advice would you give to anyone thinking about bike racing?
- With regards training, there’s no substitute for riding the bike!
Twitter – @cyclingste1
Instagram – n/a